Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pewter + Sage Mood Board Monday

While prowling the blogosphere this afternoon, I came across a new (to me) favorite - Pewter + Sage. Sarah is expecting a baby as well so I've been having a blast reading all about her nursery design and inspiration.

Today they are hosting a Mood Board challenge which I think is a really fun idea and one I haven't seen anywhere else. Basically Sarah picks 1 inspirational item (this week it's bedding) and you build a room around it. It can be any room/style/color palette you want - the only caveat is that it uses the challenge item. How fun! And what a great way to dream up a room around all those items I love but can't afford in this real world with budgets and other pesky details.

I immediately recognized one of the challenge bedding sets as the Poetical pattern by Barbara Barry. You see I've loved it since Jenny posted about it here. Little did I know it was offered in a bedding set at Macy's! (and guess who's in need of new bedding?)

With that as my inspiration, I started building a soft, feminine room full of airy white and serene gray, all accented with delicate lavender, gold accents and a punch of black here and there. This is the kind of room I would sleep in if hubby wouldn't throw a fit about it being super girly :)

Pewter + Sage Mood Board Monday Challenge

1. The color palette: As mentioned, I'd paint the walls a light purple. It would have more hints of gray than pink to keep it sophisticated. Maybe Benjamin Moore's Piano Concerto seen here.

2. Accent pillows via Etsy here and here. Seriously the pillow situation on Etsy is out of control. I could spend years of my life on there just gawking at pillows. Make it stop.

3. I LOVE Wisteria. So if there's play money to be spent, that's where I'm spendin' it. Plus I love the femininity of this mirror and the burnished gold sparkle it adds to the otherwise white washed, Swedish-esque furnishings.

4. For accent lighting, I would go with this white bone lamp from Anthropologie topped with this shade which picks up my subtle purple perfectly. And I am loving the zinnia appliques for an added dimension on this.

5. Back to Wisteria for my dresser, a French country inspired piece in the perfect antiqued shade of gray. I'd place this beside the bed to double as 1 of my 2 nightstands.

6. To pick up the bone in the accent lamp, I decided on a mother of pearl rod for my window hardware. I like that it's in keeping with the more burnished metallic accents I have going on in the room too.

7. I love Circa Lighting and am dying for an excuse (and the cash!) to make a purchase there. These swing arm lamps in hand-rubbed antique brass would be perfect on either side of my bed and again are in keeping with the little bits of metallic I have going on.

8. To be honest, I wasn't sure how I felt about the Claudette headboard when I first saw it grace the pages of my Ballard Designs catalog. I'm still not totally sold on the little bird (note it is removable) but I love the weathered look of the white and the curves are killer. Add this to the list of things my husband would never allow in the house please. But it works in this design I think.

9. This super affordable little side table is from Target and would make up 1 of my 2 nightstands. I like the pop of black it adds to the room to breakup all that softness and I'm a fan of nightstands that don't perfectly match (though you wouldn't know it by looking at my bedroom!)

10. Anchoring the whole space would be platinum jute boucle rug from West Elm. Great durability and I like that it keeps the bedding pattern the star of the room.

11 & 12. At the foot of the bed would be this tufted storage ottoman from Ballard Designs which I'd have upholstered in this deep purple color from Calico Corners.

13. I toyed with the idea of using a pattern or a light purple silk for the window panels but ultimately decided I liked the color better on the walls. These airy smocked drapes from Pottery Barn are in keeping with the feminine room.

The only thing missing is some pretty art for the walls and I'm ready to move right in I think! Oh and the $4,400 I'm conservatively estimating I'd need for all these pieces (not including taxes and shipping charges). Not too shabby for an afternoon's work!

Check out the other Mood Board challenge entrants at Pewter + Sage. I love seeing how differently everyone's rooms come together.

0 Comments: