Monday, September 13, 2010

Custom faux ostrich tufted bench, take 1

After losing a heart breaker of an eBay auction for this bench, I decided to take matters into my own hands and get one custom made. Since I was going the custom route, I could specify exactly the dimensions and, even better, the fabric for this bad boy. Knowing it would start its life in the nursery but hopefully live on at the foot of a bed somewhere, I wanted it to be fairly neutral and easy to maintain.

I've been looking for a good piece to test the use of faux ostrich leather. I've heard great things about the durability and kid-proofness of this material, especially for dining chairs. Perfect for the nursery I thought! So I ordered a few yards, provided my specs to the furniture maker and 3 weeks later, my bench arrived! I was so excited. It was perfect...except for 1 minor issue:

bench_sugar-hill
{excuse the crappy iPhone photo taken in the parking garage at work}

As I stared at this thing I thought..."why does this look lopsided?" Something about it was just off. And then it smacked me in the face.

HELLO?!?! It's missing 2 tufts on the right!!! See it up there looking all weird? HOW THE HELL DOES THIS MAKE IT OUT OF YOUR WORKSHOP MISSING 2 TUFTS? I am so baffled by this.

It has promptly been sent back to get re-tufted. Hopefully the next time I (and you) see it, it will be properly tuft-balanced.

0 Comments: