Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Ageless Fashion Gene




Just across the street from my flat there is a charming old cafe with tons of history. For the last few years Balazs and I have spent there countless hours drinking coffee, eating crèmes, meeting friends and my favourite - people watching. In particular, the older ladies and gentlemen who always look incredibly glamorous and oh so posh in their vintage dresses with pearl necklaces, bow ties, big hats and matching glows, red lipstick, perfect hair and the all important pink blush on their cheeks.

There are these groups of ladies who meet regularly for a chit-chat; and men who meet to smoke cigars and play cards. To be honest each time I see them, I am so impressed and secretly hope that when I’m in my 60's, 70's or even 80's, I will be at least a fracture as stylish as they are.

So the other day I read an awesome article on the Refinery29 about photographer and the creator of the Advanced Style, Ari Seth Cohen. He walks the streets of New York looking for the most stylish and creative older folks, as he believes they can teach us a thing or two about living life to the fullest and having a great taste for fashion. Brilliant!

My grandma once told me that in the "old times" it was unheard of  for a lady to be walking on the street updone. You at least had to put a bit of lipstick on and pinch your cheeks for a "healthy rosy glow" :)

Lovelies, what an inspiration, don’t you think?  Don’t they look fantastic? Do you get inspired by your mom's or grandma's fashion sense? Did they pass on to you some great style/fashion tips? (I'd love to know). xo

(Photos by Ari Seth Cohen via Dace)

0 Comments: