Tuesday, January 3, 2012

One thing this year: Solo Dinner Dates


This year instead of making New Year resolutions (and breaking them), I decided to challenge myself with only one thing that is totally out of my comfort zone but something I wanted to do for a while now - eating solo.

Remember a while back I told you about my favourite dippy eggs solo-dish? I always eat it when Balazs works late and dinner is all on me. So, from this month I have a plan to take the whole eating alone concept a step forward and dine alone at some of my favourite restaurants around the city.

The thing that gave me the last push was this article and Jay Rayner (the food critic) who shared his take on solo dining. He says that as with any other solo pursuits, eating alone requires a carefully balanced combination of commitment, enthusiasm and self-adoration. It should, after all, be a meal with someone you love. Hell, if you go out for dinner by yourself and discover you don't like the company, you really are in trouble. So you need to be in a good mood. The best part? When eating alone you have a licence to snoop. Eavesdropping on the next table’s conversations, people watching and having a little dinner-date with yourself can be pretty awesome, if you ask me.

Lovelies, what do you think? Fancy giving a go with me? Have you already had a dinner-date with yourself? How was it? What are your New Year resolutions? xo

P.S: Another great tip: if you are not comfortable with booking a table for one, you can always book for two and on the spot just simply say that after all it will be just you today :)

(Photos by Guardian, Michael Muller via Kinfolk and Broken Embraces)

0 Comments: