Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Getting Started

I could agonize over a clever, insightful and introspective way to start this blog, but really that would just give me more reason to procrastinate getting started...which has been my M.O. for this whole decorating thing for far too long.

You see before we bought our first house, I thought nothing at all of going up to a wall armed with a hammer and nails and just sticking things where ever. But a funny thing happens when you aren't renting anymore. Suddenly you feel a sense of responsibility over putting nails in perfectly good, brand spanking new walls. It's silly really. But this whole paralytic approach to decorating and "getting things wrong" has kept me...well...paralyzed. We dove right in and furnished the rooms where we spend the most time (kitchen, family room, bedroom) but never would I say we "decorated" them.

I armed myself with lots of periodical inspiration but everything just seemed so damn expensive (especially when faced with a new mortgage). And the choices were once again, so daunting. So before you know it a month turns into 6 months which turn into a year and suddenly you've been living in a place for 3 years, all the while making excuses about "we just haven't gotten around to it".

WELL I'M GETTING AROUND TO IT!! I've been completely inspired by the home office re-do that my friend and talented decorator Nicole just helped us with. I mean we literally went from having a sad little dumping ground of a room to a beautiful, stylish, completely functional office space. My only regret is that I didn't get started on all of this sooner. I've seen the light and I've seen how much can be accomplished with a little planning, resourcefulness, elbow grease and not all that much money!

So I think I'll use this blog to keep track of my progress, capture my latest wish-lists, inspiring photos and hopefully a few before/after projects as well.

Here goes nothing...

0 Comments: