Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chiang Mai Dragon

I have almost 2 yards of this fabric. And endless ideas for what I could do with it to make my surroundings instantly more fabulous. The problem? Anytime I get close to it with scissors, I almost break out in hives. Performance anxiety? Or am I just paralyzed by the thought of taking scissors to a $200/yd fabric (note: I got mine on eBay but still!).

There is no shortage of inspiration on the interwebs for how savvy ladies are using this fabric. They all look amazing, but I still haven't landed on the "the one" idea that will allow this gorgeous pattern and color combo to shine.

via Absolutely Beautiful Things








via Little Green Notebook

With a dog and soon to be baby in the house, I'm starting to think using my Chiang Mai on a surface that neither of those buggers can touch might be the way to go. Daisy enjoys rubbing her fresh-from-the-dog-bowl-face on ottomans and couch edges. Babies seem fond of crawling up on them with their goldfish cracker hands. A chair will suffer the same fate and, *gasp* get sat on! Though look closely at those dining chairs above...they appear to be vinyl covered to protect them. Hmm...this could be a solution. Then of course there's the part of me that says "it's just fabric" and "let's put it somewhere we can enjoy it and live with it everyday".



I am loving this Chiang Mai bulletin board via Elements of Style. Maybe it's the downright utilitarian use of such a lux fabric that intrigues me? Or the fact that it almost looks like a work of art on the wall.

Am I putting too much emphasis on finding "the right place" and hence it will continue to live in a neatly folded pile in my office? Probably. This seems to be what I do. Hence I have blank walls and lots of stuff but no fully decorated rooms?

I have convinced myself that the perfect spot for this fabric would be on a re-upholstered pair of x-base benches. I could tuck them under a console table for just a dash of color and extra occasional seating when I need it. Now I just need the benches!

0 Comments: