Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Reader Question: Blinds for a Very Wide Window

I got an email recently from a reader Emily with a design dilemma.  Here's what she wrote:

I have a dilemma with my family room window.  It is massively wide (105"!) and I really like the look of a bamboo blind layered with curtains, but I have no idea how to make the 'look' work for my window.  I can't seem to find anyone that makes a 105" bamboo blind and am not sure if I should try to do 3 blinds or maybe I should try an entirely different look altogether.


 

Let me just start by saying this is a wonderful problem to have.  Look at all that light and the pretty view into her backyard!  But I certainly understand the desire to "dress" the window.  I love the bamboo blind + curtain panels look as well and have it in almost every room in our house.  


There are always exceptions but in general, bamboo blinds come in a few standard widths.  Unlike other blind materials, bamboo blinds aren't easily cut to size and 105" wide blinds are definitely not a standard width. 

Emily's first question is about dressing the window with one large blind.  For the record you actually CAN get 105" blinds.  However, there are two problems with a blind this big:

1.  COST:  It would need to be custom ordered and will be expensive ($500+.)  A specialty site like The Shade Store or Smith + Noble are good sources for something like this but you can even order a custom blind from the blind section of Home Depot or Lowes

2.  WEIGHT:  Even if you were willing to spend that kind of money on a blind, a bamboo shade of that size will be crazy heavy.  Like you're going to need to hang off that blind cord to get it raised. 

Here's how I know this to be true.  This is our guest bedroom window.  It is 70.5" wide, ie. also not a standard blind width.  A 72" wide blind is just a bit too big (I like to inside mount all my blinds) and a 60" blind is a little too narrow.  


Rather than spring for a custom blind on this window, I decided to fake it and hide the gap left by a 60" width blind with the curtain panel. See..there's about a 4" gap between the blind and the edge of the window when you pull back the curtain. 



Here you can see what the window looks like when I pull the curtains all the way back.  It's never like this though so the gap really doesn't bother me.  And I saved myself a boatload of $.  BUT, even this 60" wide blind is very heavy to raise.  Emily's window is a whole 40" WIDER.  For that reason, I don't think a single blind is a good option. 

The alternative to 1 big blind is dressing the window in several blinds, each operating independently.  We did this in our office

This window is also 70.5" wide but instead of 1 large blind like we did in the guest bedroom, we have two 33.5" wide blinds. 




Visually it really doesn't look that different than a single blind but it's SOOOO much easier to operate.  And you get the same layered effect that Emily likes.  

Here's a gorgeous kitchen using the same trick. 


With her 105" wide window, three of these 34" wide bamboo blinds would work perfectly.  And the best part - her blind situation is taken care of for just over $100! 

Thanks for the question Emily!  I hope I could help even a little.  Please send pictures of your newly "dressed" window when you're done!

If you have a question or design dilemma irking you, drop me an email (address listed over on the right sidebar.)  I love a challenge and I love searching out pictures to help inspire you to tackle the issue and make your space the best it can be.



0 Comments: