I have been furiously searching for a vintage star chart for months now. I think it's finally time I fill you all in on this obsession. I am in desperate need of my own little inky blue map of the heavens to frame and stare at.
This image of designer Thomas O'Brien's apartment in Elle Decor started the obsession. You can read more about his star chart here where he chronicles all the different spots he's hung it throughout the years.
He describes his star chart as a 1940s Rand McNally map originally created to teach school children about the stars and heavens. He scored his for $75 but anytime I've seen vintage charts of that size they've been several hundreds of dollars which just isn't working for me.
More inspiration - love the pair of them!
Vintage framed celestial charts in this boys room from Restoration Hardware
I have of course been furiously searching for one like Mr. O'Brien's with no luck. Here's what I've found in my search in case my obsession spreads to you.
This one from Etsy is an interesting substitute but it's not big enough for me. It's only 11"x14" :(

Vintage Constellation Map from Etsy seller Saturated Color
This one one eBay is interesting. I can't get over the cheesy-ness of its glow in the dark properties though so it won't work for me.

Then there's these pull-down charts on Etsy. Great size at 28"x29" but I really want to frame my print so these don't work.

Really loving the color on these 2 prints but it's not science-y enough for me. See how this obsession can spiral out of control?!

This one on Amazon is actually an educational tool for science teachers. It's 44" square which is awesome and only $13.20 which is double awesome! It's described as being "chalk writeable" which kind of confuses me but I'm really tempted to order it and see if it's frame worthy!
Science Education Universal Star Chart
I really love this last options - a 36" square constellation scarf. I think this would look phenomenal framed. I realize it's not exactly like the vintage Rand McNally map Mr. O'Brien has but I almost like it better. The colors are so pretty.

One of the things coming through loud and clear in the reader survey is that you guys want help on just how to search for stuff. This happens to me all the time...I'll see something I love in a magazine but then I'm like "what the heck is that exactly?" Here's a handy list of search terms I've been using to find these charts.
Do you guys like this? Should I keep including little reference lists of search terms like this? You have to promise to let me know if you find a vintage star chart...must live vicariously!





0 Comments:
Post a Comment