Friday, December 2, 2011

Frameworthy Vintage Kid's Books

As much as I love unique art for a child's room, I like LOW COST, unique art even more! I shared my idea for framing cute wrapping paper here.  Today I'm sharing another favorite trick for low cost and personalized art - framing pages from a favorite book.

 
Framed pages from classic Shel Silverstein poems via Amy Meier Design

Kid's books are so beautifully illustrated, they really are art unto themselves!  I have a serious weakness for vintage children's books, especially foreign ones.  These are some of my absolute favorites.  Many are out of print but still available thru Etsy, eBay and through Amazon's used book service.  

If you don't want to tear pages out of these beautiful books (I don't blame you!) have colored photocopies of your favorite pages printed on card-stock and frame that instead.
 

1. Miroslav Sasek "This Is New York" Truthfully I love all of Sasek's books.  See his full collection here.  If you can find one that's meaningful to your family, even better!  The images are gorgeous and just begging to be framed.


2. Bruno Munari's ABC:  First published in Italy in 1961, the striking imagery is just as gorgeous and relevant today.  



3. Cuore di mamma:  I actually have the original Portuguese version (pictured above) but it's been translated into many, many languages.  The story is a simple one of a boy's love for his mother and the illustrations are bold and happy.


4.  A child's picture Hebrew dictionary:  The Hebrew alphabet depicted through all sorts of objects, animals and places. 


5.  When I Was Born:  Another gorgeous piece of work from Isabel Minhós Martins.  I love the bold colors and the story is so sweet it kills me.


6.  Wild Animals by Rop Van Mierlo:  I am more than a little obsessed with this book.  Originally printed in the Netherlands, it features big ink drop paintings of various animals.  Every page is gorgeous.   See a quick video of the gorgeous pages here.


0 Comments: