**11.03am**
One thing that I love about my life is that I don't get that "Monday morning feeling." It's not something that I experience, because my life is the same - Monday through to Sunday. We don't do anything different at weekends than we wouldn't do during the week. That may sound wierd to those Monday-Friday people. But for us, every day is different. Every day is the opportunity for a new discovery or a new adventure. We aren't tied down to the restrictions of "normal" 9-5 society. I am free to spend time with my wonderful children any day I please. I don't have to fit myself in between the school day and term times.
- To have happy children with wonderful memories of their childhood to look back on.
- To develop a love of learning. I firmly believe that once that love of learning is planted within, anything is possible. If you love to learn, you will learn.
So far, I feel I'm progressing well with both goals. My children seem to display happiness daily - their laughter and smiles, their chuckles and giggles, their excited chatter, seems to demonstrate this quite successfully. The love of learning? Well that is a work in progress - always - but on the evidence of this morning, I know the seed has been planted.
The girls came home complete with a selection of their finds. A few Ocean themed ones for Chelsea, along with two cookery books, "Horseradish" by Lemony Snickets (a collection of quotes from his work I believe), and an internet linked Science Encyclopaedia. Tiegan bought back a book about Rabbits (no surprise there then!), and one about living life near a river. Tiegan settled straight down to read the rabbit book. She really is excited at the thought of having her very own pet. She is also taking the responsibility extremely seriously.
The set of cards you see are general knowledge quiz cards. They have questions on one side and corresponding answers on the other. I like leaving them out as the children dip into them that way. We sometimes host our own quiz shows (usually with hilarious results), or the children will just quiz each other. They were a charity shop find, and I'm so glad I spent my pennies on them.
As I'm typing this, the girls have decided to take turns to read aloud to me. Tiegan chose a children's Bible, something she hasn't read to me for a long time.
It opened up a wealth of discussion about her beliefs, and she asked about mine. I had to admit I don't really know what I believe anymore. I am struggling spiritually at the moment, well, maybe struggling is the wrong term. I am curious. I am seeking answers. I am questioning what I've always thought, always believed, always been taught. I may blog about this one day. For now I'm content to learn.
Chelsea read Alice in Wonderland from our Wordsworth Classics set.
It is a challenging read. Lots of long "fancy" (as Chelsea just told me) words in it. She asked what Melancholy and Usurpation meant today. I like that it challenges my usual expert reader, it means we are doing something right :)
**Continued at 6.30pm**
An update. Chelsea is in the bath, Tiegan and Callum are playing with the Playdough. Joseph is using the laptop finding websites about the World Cup. It's been a great day. No actually, it's been a wonderful day. I've been happy, Tiegan has told me that she is happy, Chelsea has acted as if she is happy, Joseph and Callum? Well, they are always happy :)
After writing my morning blog piece, I got dragged outside. I went willingly of course, but it did feel as if I was being nagged. Still, it's nice to be nagged to do family reading time :) We sat in the sunshine out on the trampoline and enjoyed listening to the birds as we read.
The first book we read was:
Joseph in particular loves this book, and he is sad we are nearing its end. It really brings to life what life was like. The story is very descriptive, and you can easily get lost within it. It's written in an easy to understand way though, and although sad and sometimes distressing, it's not too graphic - well, not that we've come across yet. The reality of war is never going to be pleasant, but I'm not one to hide my children away from such reality. They have always been bought up to understand that life is full of good and bad.As it's still April, and I'm still trying to keep up with the Kid's Outdoor Challenge, any of the garden photos above will suit, so take your pic :)
It will be hung up in our porch/cloakroom shortly.
The second is a picture of Joe's carpentry skills. With his dad's help, he fixed wooden planks to the ceiling of our outside loo.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment