Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Climbing roses make me happy

2 years ago I planted some very sad looking bare root David Austin English garden roses. My goal was to have them grow up the side of our covered porch and wrap a bit around a front column. I figured I'd get there in...oh...6-7 years. No one told me these roses were on crack though and would completely take over the side of my house in less than 15 months (they looked like this by end of last summer).

Last spring we had to install some trellis to let them complete their total domination of this area. They took right to it and by the end of last summer had completely covered the trellis (and any view I had of my neighbors house from my outdoor couch which I guess was the point).

This morning they looked like this:



This of course makes me insanely happy. I love flowers and I love gardening but perhaps nothing has been as satisfying as putting those sad little sticks in the ground 2 years ago and having them turn into this!

Added bonus: they smell AMAZING! A gorgeous old rose scent that wafts in through the front windows when they're open.

In short, I am quite satisfied with this little corner of my world.

0 Comments: