Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Yellow & Gray Crib Bedding

My search for some pretty, non-girly yellow crib bedding has landed me squarely in the "I'm going to have to make this myself" category. I'm definitely not one to shy away from some DIY so this isn't a problem (until I'm up until 1 am sewing crib bumpers that is) but picking out fabrics has been.

I started here - yellow fitted sheet from Land of Nod, white bumpers with bright yellow piping and ties, white straight skirt with a gray kick edge and bright yellow bias tape trim. I was happy with this look until I started to not be happy with the fitted sheet. Yellow has been a challenging color to match because there are so many shades and while I know I'll never get every yellow in the room to match perfectly, when you start seeing them all side by side, you realize how orange some are.

Please excuse the very poor Photoshop mock-up job. Just wanted to see it all together.

crib_bedding1

So I decided the yellow fitted sheet was a no-go and started searching for something that had more white & gray in it which would let me do the color in the bumper and skirt. I ended up with the dove gray fitted sheet from Dwell (part of the Transportation set). You can see it here.

Oh, I should probably also mention that I had this change of heart about the overall crib bedding AFTER I'd already sewn together 2 all white quilted bumper pads and cut the other 4. They all also have the bright yellow ties and piping sewn in and that was such a pain, I will not be redoing them. So I'm planning to use the all white 2 on the backside facing the wall and introduce a pattern on the other 4 but just on the outside of the bumper. The inside part that faces the mattress I'll leave in the white quilt. So whatever colors/patterns I choose have to work with this bright yellow piping/ties. HAVE.TO.

I then started to look for inspiration on how to put different fabrics together in the bumper/sheet/skirt combo that would all work. Here are some of my favorites. Really what I was focusing on here was the pattern combination and how I can make a stripe work with a floral or a graphic and when it starts to get too "busy" looking.

Overall, my conclusion is that if you keep things in the same color tone with the sheet a little more neutral, you can use 2 different patterns on the bumper and skirt and keep a coordinated look without the whole thing getting too matchy matchy on you. Also, it looks like a stripe would be better for the skirt than the bumper.


Screen shot 2010-07-26 at 11.49.23 AM

Screen shot 2010-07-26 at 11.48.40 AM

Screen shot 2010-07-26 at 11.48.14 AM

SL1

I've ordered an assortment of fabric swatches in yellow from some of my favorite fabric suppliers. First up, an different yellows from LSFabrics.com.

ls-fabrics_yellow

The conclusion:
Nothing on the top row works. The yellow/white dots, while cute are a little too cutesy for me. Plus the yellow is very pale. The trellis pattern is more gold. Would make a great seat cover or chair upholstery though. And the yellow & white stripe is on a quilted fabric. It's ok but I think I want to stay away from a stripe on the bumper after seeing some of my favorite looks above.

On the bottom row, the first stripey fabric is actually a great contender for the skirt. It's a bit more muted and actually gray, not taupe/brown. Will depend on how I go with the bumper though but we'll keep it on the short list for now.

I also ordered samples of the 2 trims you see above. I love the little pom-poms and thought they might be cute on the edge of the skirt, but again, finding a bright yellow pom-pom trim has been impossible. This one is a little too soft yellow to work. I love the bright yellow box pleat tape...could look really cute on the edge but would also depend on the yellow in the skirt.

Back to the drawing board, I ordered more swatches from another favorite site, PremierPrints.com. I already have several yards of this fabric from them that I was planning on using for the window seat cushion. Since the window seat may or may not happen at this point, I'm also throwing it into the mix for crib bedding contenders.


Others I ordered:

premiereprints_yellow

These all look promising, I hope they look as good in person! I love that, because they are all from the same line, the yellows are all pretty close to one another. Again, I like the stripe in the bottom right for a skirt option. And I am also intrigued by the chevron for the skirt, though it's a pretty strong pattern, I'm not sure if it will compete too much with other stuff in the room or not. Maybe chevron bumper, striped skirt? The elephants are just cute. I don't know if they'll make it into the bedding but maybe a lumbar pillow for the glider or something. Too cute.

These swatches should be here by the end of the week which means I can decide over the weekend on a configuration, place an order and hopefully have it all in hand and ready for sewing before the baby shower at our house on the 7th! Stay tuned...

0 Comments: