Thursday, March 24, 2011

Latest Score: Pair of Jenny Lind beds

Remember Sunshine Ruffalo's kid's room from Domino? I think it started a national obsession with Jenny Lind beds.

Picture 8

A pair of twin beds obviously makes practical sense for 2 kids sharing a room, but I'm not opposed to putting a pair in a single child's room either. Growing up, I always wanted an extra bed in my room for sleep overs or for my mom to jump into to keep me company during those especially scary thunderstorms.

So even while idea of kids was a very distant one, I filed this image away and put a pair of Jenny Lind twin beds on my Craig's List stalking list (y'know, the list of ever-revolving search terms that you plug into Craig's List on Saturday morning in hopes of hitting gold.)

I know...you're saying "why the heck were you searching for twin beds for kids that didn't even exist yet". I really don't have a good answer for that other than to tell you that obviously I have an illness when it comes to these things. BUT in my defense, a pair of these beds has proven very hard to come by. Sure, I could have just bought these brand new ones from Land of Nod but a pair would have set me back $1,000. So with time on my side, I waited...and waited. About 11 months later, after searching pretty much every other day I hit gold!

Behold...all their spindly prettiness make me insanely happy.

jenny-lind-beds-1

A perfect pair with head boards AND foot boards. Can you even stand it? I am not ashamed to admit that I have walked by them in our hallway multiple times today and just stopped and smiled.

They were made in Grand Rapids, MI according to the maker's mark.

jenny-lind-2

I was shocked at the amazingly good condition these guys are in.

jenny-lind-4

For vintage beds, they look pretty fantastic I think.

jenny-lind-3

Check out the caster feet? Seriously, could you just die?! I love them. {speaking of feet, please ignore mine in this photo!}

jenny-lind-9

Perhaps the best part of this find is the fact that these beds are rock solid. Believe me, when considering vintage beds, I was definitely worried about the rickety-ness factor. Thankfully this pair came with the worlds heaviest side rails.

jenny-lind-8

They lock right into these metal fittings on the head and foot board. Once in place, these things literally do not move.

jenny-lind-5

Total cost for the pair: $300 Definitely up there in terms of my total Craig's List expenditures but they are in such fantastic condition, $150 for each bed seems very reasonable to me. Particularly when I consider that I just saved myself $700 over the Land of Nod pair. AND I can customize however I want. I'm debating...white...or red like this or this?

For now, they'll be hanging out in storage. But I just love knowing they're there, ready and waiting for their big debut!

0 Comments: