Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Biking Style: Going Dutch (and Danish)


Since the weather is pretty lovely lately, I've been cycling up a storm. It feels super refreshing and strangely freeing to spin the wheels about, doesn't it? Anyhow, last night while catching up on my reading I spotted a fun little article about Dutch and Danish cycling culture. Both are pretty similar and it's totally jaw dropping to think that more than third of the Netherlands' population commutes by bike at all times. Inspiring, isn’t it? It’s like their second nature. The fun think is that till now I couldn’t really make a difference between Danish and Dutch biking style but after reading the article I noticed that Danish bikers are a bit more chic, while Dutch are funkier - nevertheless I adore them both! They are awesome.

Lovelies, how do you commute? By car, subway (metro), do you walk or bike or maybe travel by bus? I mostly walk or bike everywhere. (And we don't own a car as we live downtown - everything is pretty close and easily accessible).

Fun Fact: The Dutch word for bicycle is fiets (pronounced "feets") and in Amsterdam there are much more bikers than drivers on the streets.

P.S: Check out this bicycling rush hour video in Utrecht, Netherlands. Incredible!!!

0 Comments: